Saturday, December 1, 2007

My cousin and Matt Damon

What do they have in common?

"How do you like them apples?" My first exposure to this line was in health class in 10th grade, with... I can't remember my teacher's name. Anyway, some exceedingly lazy educator pirated the censored version of Good Will Hunting off NBC, and let it run in half hour blocks every other day for a few weeks.

So my cousin... Today was my mom's parents' 50th wedding anniversary, and festivities were held in their honor at my parents' house. The eclectic menagerie that is my mother's family came, amongst the bunch my eight-year-old cousin, who is in third grade in the next town over. Well, I remember how much I loved getting attention from my older cousins around his age, so when challenged (shyly) to a round of air hockey, I accepted. An hour later, my cousin beat me for the umpteenth time, triumphantly, hoisting himself halfway onto the table, yelling, "How do you like them apples?!?!?"

I don't know. They're alright. Besides, he was allowed to use two mallets (to my one) and his hands (while he instructed me severely several times to keep mine off the puck). So I'm not ashamed of losing. But "them apples"? I'm still reeling.

No comments: